First: Genesis 22:1-2, 9-13, 15-18
God tests Abraham by asking him to sacrifice Issac … Abraham offers, but God provides a substitute at the last minute, and showers blessings on Abraham for not refusing.
- I will walk in the presence of God in the land of the living
- I trusted even when I said … Your servant Lord, your servant am I
- My vows to the Lord I will fulfil.
Second: Romans 8:31-34
With God on our side who can be against us … since God did not spare his only son, we may be certain that he will not refuse us.
Gospel: Mark 9:2-10
The Transfiguration – a voice from the cloud said “This is my Son the Beloved, listen to him”
- Transfiguration: Jesus the beloved Son of God – the fulfilment of the Scriptures.
- Abraham’s obedience – sacrifice, the characteristics of faith.
- God’s glory makes his will known – Christ is for us.
- At the Name of Jesus
- Be Still and Know
- Before Thy Throne O God we Kneel
- Crown Him with Many Crowns
- God is Love His the Care
- Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
- Jesu Lover of My Soul
- O Cross of Christ
- O Light of Light by Love Inclined
- O Light of Light Love Given Birth (public domain in the USA, not yet in many other countries
- The God of Abraham Praise
- There’s a Wideness in God’s Mercy
- ‘Tis Good (How Good) Lord to be Here
- What Wondrous Love
- Christ Upon the Mountain Peak – Wren
- If God is For Us – Foley
- Transfigure Us O Lord – Hurd
- We Behold the Splendour of God – Landry
It pays for proper preparation of the Liturgy